Take action to PROTECT OUR OCEAN PLANET
Become a Climate Action Leader:
Visit Al Gore's group and become a climate leader in your local community - https://www.climaterealityproject.org
Ten Ways To Rise Above Plastics:
Here are ten easy things you can do to reduce your 'plastic footprint' and help keep plastics out of the marine environment while also reducing your carbon footprint.
- Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available locally at great prices.
- Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other 'disposable' plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack or car to use at bbq's, potlucks or take-out restaurants.
- Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
- Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shop, smoothie shop or restaurants that let you use them. A great way to reduce lids, plastic cups and/or plastic-lined cups.
- Go digital! No need for plastic cds, dvds and jewel cases when you can buy your music and videos online.
- Seek out alternatives to the plastic items that you rely on.
- Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Volunteer at a beach cleanup. Surfrider Foundation Chapters often hold cleanups monthly or more frequently.
- Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans and bottle recycling bills. Go #FoamFree with 5 Gyres Institute.
- Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!